[Pythonmac-SIG] Bob Ippolito's synopsis of Python(s) on OS X

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Wed Mar 31 18:06:07 EST 2004

On Mar 31, 2004, at 5:31 PM, Nick Bastin wrote:

> Bashing cross-platform toolkits, as Bob did in his session, just
> damages the chance that applications will come to the mac at all.  I
> find it much more likely that an application will not be ported to the
> mac all than the GUI be rehosted on top of Cocoa, if you keep telling
> application developers that mac users will only accept the One True
> Way(tm) of Cocoa, which is just bunk.

What's the difference (to open source projects, at least), if the
toolkit is truly write once run everywhere? (that was rhetorical, don't
bother responding).

My slides and comments were a reflection of the current
not-finished-yet status of the cross-platform Python GUI toolkits on
the Mac as a warning to developers who are interested in Mac
development.  It says nothing about where wxPython will be in N months,
only where it was when I made the presentation last week.

In any case, this thread is of little use, as the presentation has
already been given, and I wouldn't go back and change the relevant
slides if given the chance.  If you would like to advocate wxPython
development on the mac, even though it's not currently possible to make
native-like (in performance, functionality, and lack of visual defects)
applications with it, then please feel free to give your own
presentation.  EuroPython is coming up soon, you better hurry! :)