[Pythonmac-SIG] Bob Ippolito's synopsis of Python(s) on OS X

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Tue Mar 30 16:56:30 EST 2004

On Mar 30, 2004, at 4:40 PM, Nick Bastin wrote:

> On Mar 30, 2004, at 4:29 PM, Tom Loredo wrote:
>
>> This post is for a dual purpose:  first, to alert newcomers to
>> MacPython that Bob Ippolito's PyCon2004 presentation is a great
>> summary of the potentially confusing Python situation under OS X;
>> and second, to publicly thank Bob for taking the time to put
>> together so nice a presentation.  I've been using Python on the
>> Mac for years, and I still learned a lot from his presentation.
>>
>> It's available online here:
>>
>> http://www.python.org/pycon/dc2004/papers/32/
>
> I would just like to point out that slide 60 is *NOT* a representative
> sample of wxPython on MacOS X.  Unless he got extremely unlucky, Bob
> went out of his way to find an example that did not look good on MacOS
> X.  It's ok to like your toolkit better than some other toolkit, but
> don't make the others appear worse than they really are.  The wxPython
> demo application isn't even on the whole a particularly good example
> (unfortunately) since a few examples are poorly coded as far as layout
> goes (I can make controls overlap with cocoa too), but if you go
> through it, you'll get a much better idea of where wx works and
> doesn't work.

Yes, I did intentionally put wxPython, pyQt, and Tkinter in a bad
light, I wanted to make it absolutely clear that they are not quite
there yet.  I agree with Guido when he said that wxPython is the best
among certain constraints in his PyCon keynote, but I personally would
prefer and currently recommend to develop a separate Cocoa front-end
altogether for most applications because the cross-platform GUI
frameworks have significant bugs *AND* because you can and should take
advantage of platform-specific features such as WebKit, AddressBook,
etc. for many Mac applications.