[Pythonmac-SIG] For your eyes only: 2.3.3 installers finally available

Kevin Altis altis at semi-retired.com
Wed Mar 24 13:25:02 EST 2004

On Mar 24, 2004, at 2:31 AM, Jack Jansen wrote:

> Folks,
> after many months the MacPython 2.3.3 for Jaguar and MacPython-OS9
> 2.3.3 installers are finally available.
> The holdup was a licensing problem with Mindvision Installer Vise,
> which really only affected the OS9 installer but the OSX installer got
> accidentally stalled as well. The problem has now been solved by the
> Python Software Foundation, who have graciously offered to pay for the
> license. If you want to show your gratitude you can do so at
> <http://www.python.org/psf/donations.html>.
>
> Anyway, I've put the new installers at
> <http://ftp.cwi.nl/jack/python/mac/newer/>. Please try them and report
> back here whether they work. I will wait until I've had positive
> feedback on them and then I'll advertise them to a wider audience.

I'm running Panther, so I guess there is nothing for me to test ;-)
However, I was just thinking about how we have a Mac OS X user base
spread across at least three distinct OS versions so far and the
confusion this is probably going to cause. If possible, I suggest
having the installer check the specific OS version and warn the user
about doing an install on Panther and later (do we have to wait until
WWDC to find out the name?) and 10.1. For PythonCard I'm going to go
ahead and make separate pages for Jaguar and Panther installations, and
10.1 won't be supported at all.

ka