[Pythonmac-SIG] Is Python bytecode cross-platform?

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Sat Mar 6 01:28:54 EST 2004

On Mar 6, 2004, at 1:12 AM, Mailing List wrote:

> Should a pyc file created on my Panther Mac run on other platforms?
> My initial observations are that it won't, is this correct or am I
> just doing something wrong?

pyc files are definitely specific to the version of Python that
produced them, though I believe that the bytecodes don't change very
often (at all?) between minor releases.  I don't believe that the
platform is a factor.

The way you asked this question is incorrect though, you really need to
state more information (such as platform(s), python version(s),
exception(s) raised, etc.) when you say something like "it doesn't
work" or "am I doing something wrong".