[Pythonmac-SIG] Some thoughts on Python and OS X

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Mon Jun 14 04:24:43 EDT 2004

On 14-jun-04, at 10:07, Kenneth McDonald wrote:

> And while I haven't actually used Linux in a long time (and never
> particularly enthusiastically), you are partly right about expecting
> certain things to be done in a UNIXish manner. There never was
> a real "standard" for the UNIX file structure, but Apple's structure
> is, uh, somewhat less standard than standard :-).
>
> What would really help--for me at least, and perhaps for others--
> is a good document explaining how and why Apple has implemented
> certain structures, how they map to "old" structures.

While this isn't possible in general, because some of the Apple
structures
are there specifically to enable things that aren't easy/common/possible
in other unixen (Apple didn't invent these new structures just for
fun:-), it is
definitely possible to create a document that explains the structure of
Python on the Mac to people familiar with Python on other unix
platforms.

Anyone willing to do a first draft of this, that we can then improve
and post
on the website?
Goldman