[Pythonmac-SIG] Package Manager questions

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Wed Jun 9 11:38:16 EDT 2004

On Jun 9, 2004, at 11:26 AM, eichin at metacarta.com wrote:

>> (2) The MacPython PackageManager page doesn't make it clear which URLs
>> are appropriate for MacOSX 10.3 users and which (if any) aren't.

The baked-in URL is always for the exact OS you are running.  My
database ( http://undefined.org/python/pimp/ ) is for 10.3, though I do
have an old NOT AT ALL MAINTAINED database for those poor 10.2 users,
which is so much harder to find that I won't bother looking myself.

> Ohh, that didn't even occur to me (given how late I was in upgrading
> to 10.3, I thought I was trailing edge...): is this why PyGame doesn't
> install?
>
> "Problem with dependency: (WriteableBin): This package cannot be
> installed automatically (no Download-URL field"
> "Problem with dependency: (WriteableInclude): This package cannot be
> installed automatically (no Download-URL field"

You need to do some chmod'ing.. turn on hidden packages and read the
description.  This is just one of those "holy crap the PackageManager
UI is garbage" things.  A future version will allow you to authenticate
in these scenarios.  When that future version will exist, nobody knows
:)

> (This comes up because someone at EuroPython just asked if I had
> pygame on my Mac... and I hadn't gotten around to seeing if this was
> fixed... there were *lots* of cool pygame-based animated
> presentations, so I'm going to try it, but it looks like I have to
> build it myself, which some of the "framework issues" discussions have
> caused me to fear :-)

No.  But it should build fine yourself if you have all the
prerequisites (dev frameworks for SDL, SDL_image, SDL_mixer, SDL_ttf,
and PyObjC.. off the top of my head).