[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: improving appscript architecture

Daniel Lord daniel at brightfire.org
Fri Jul 9 16:44:37 CEST 2004

> From: has <hengist.podd at virgin.net>
> Date: July 8, 2004 16:17:57 PDT
> To: pythonmac-sig at python.org
> Subject: [Pythonmac-SIG] Re: improving appscript architecture
>

> Thanks to Russell and Gary for comments and links on implementing
> mix-ins in Python. Related to that subject, here's a quick question
> about using "non-standard voodoo":
>
> Given that I'm angling for appscript's eventual inclusion in the
> standard MacPython library, the code needs to be grokkable and
> maintainable by others (lest I be hit by the Proverbial Bus someday).
> How would using something like a home-rolled mixin scheme affect that?
> e.g. Justifiable under certain circumstances? A complete non-starter?

Just my two-cents: I'd suggest parsing up the functionality between
abstract base classes, a few concrete base classes, and classes that
simulate Java's interface pattern depending upon some classification
based on object or function characteristics. For example, if I
understand your challenge correctly, Java's Listener and Adapter
patterns make event processing much easier to follow and adapt to
specific application than if Java's Foundation Classes were a mish-mash
of rich abstract and base classes defying rhyme and reason to anyone
not intimately familiar with the entire architecture.

Please excuse this comment if it seems utter nonsense. After all, I
know what  I intend to convey but it may be far from how I explain it
and even farther from how you understand it.

Daniel