[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: improving appscript architecture

Gary Shao gshao1 at san.rr.com
Wed Jul 7 00:10:08 CEST 2004

> I suspect what I really want is mixins or a nice prototype-based OO
> scheme, but Python doesn't have native support for either. (There are
> days I really get frustrated by Python's object system, which is both
> too complex and too inflexible, and this is definitely one of them.) I
> could perhaps rig something myself, or I could maybe use metaclasses
> to provide an API that can mix behaviours according to recipe to
> create the required modules, or perhaps some sort of facade+delegation
> scheme using __getattr__, or maybe something else I haven't thought of
> like turning the whole problem over to a source code generator.
>
> Given this code needs to be simple, efficient, maintainable and
> extensible - and [ideally] serve as a pattern for folk who want to
> develop similar bridges on other languages - I'm all open to suggestions.

Forgive my ignorance, but doesn't Python support mixins? I remembered
reading the article
found here  http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=4540 a while
back, and it seemed
to emphasize the power of Python to employ mixins. What additional
capabilities do you
require for your application?

Gary