[Pythonmac-SIG] Matlab-like IDE

Glenn Andreas gandreas at delver.com
Mon Jul 5 15:09:57 EDT 2004

At 6:55 PM -0400 7/1/04, Carlo Mattoni wrote:
>On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, gandreas wrote:
>
>>  You can also modify the values of the local variables in the debugger
>>  (and this works for both internally running and externally running
>>  scripts) but you can't yet execute arbitrary code.  Adding this
>>  shouldn't be too hard, however.
>
>The ability to execute arbitrary code while stopped in the debugger is
>exactly what I am looking for and if you can add it to pyOXIDE relatively
>easily that would be tremendous.  Ideally one would have access to a
>"python interactive" window whenever the debugger is stopped and be able
>to execute commands, look at results, etc. from within that shell.

It's now implemented and will be in the next release of PyOXIDE -
there is a "console" drawer that appears in the debugger (like XCode)
which executes code in the context of the currently selected frame
(it may not update the UI correctly, and I've yet to get it working
for remote debugging, but it works reasonably well for local
debugging).

Other changes are going to mostly be resolving some build problems,
getting the "folded" image to be use correctly (instead of the
"document" icon), the "correct" (XCode like) completion UI (which
broke somehow), application preferences (which also broke) and I'm
also planning on cleaning up and extending the "code snippet" menu.
(It's amazing how many problems you can find when you do a clean
install of your app on a machine other than the one it was built on).

I'm hoping to add support for external editors as well (so you can
edit your python code in BBEdit if you really want), but that may not
make this release.

Glenn Andreas                      gandreas at gandreas.com
mondo blobbo, Cythera, Theldrow, oh my!
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to Know