[Pythonmac-SIG] Matlab-like IDE

gandreas gandreas at visi.com
Thu Jul 1 18:42:05 EDT 2004

On Jul 1, 2004, at 3:25 PM, Carlo Mattoni wrote:

> I have been using pyOXIDE for a while now and like its clean aqua
> interface but have missed the interogatory debugging capabilities of
> matlab.

Give me some more examples and suggestions on what you'd like to see,
and how it can work, and I can try to add them for the next version
(it's amazing how many bugs you find when you're running your app on a
different machine, and without the ability to rebuild it to fix them).

Assuming you are able to run it "internally" (i.e., you don't have to
run your app as part of any external process) you can just bring up a
new interactive window and tell it to use the namespace of your script.
  However, that doesn't let you easily call things with the state of
something stopped in a function.

You can also modify the values of the local variables in the debugger
(and this works for both internally running and externally running
scripts) but you can't yet execute arbitrary code.  Adding this
shouldn't be too hard, however.