[Pythonmac-SIG] Installing pychecker

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Jan 28 15:59:59 EST 2004

Bob Ippolito wrote:
>> 2) What is the standard thing to do? Should I add that directory to my
>> PATH?
>> Or should I add a hard link called "pychecker" from another directory
>> that

> Add it to you PATH,

Don't add it to your PATH, that's jsut not the "unix way". If you do
that, eventually you'll have an absurdly lonbg PATH from all sorts of stuff.

make a symlink,

Very good idea, this is the standard approach. Don't make a hard link.
With a sym link, you can upgrade pychecker and the symlink will point to
the new one, not the old one, as a hard link will do.

or use "python setup.py install
> --install-scripts=/usr/local/bin"

If this works, it's a good option

> I'm not sure this has even been discussed yet (recently?).  I've
> actually been thinking about changing the --install-scripts parameter to
> /usr/local/bin for my PackageManager repository.

I think that's a great idea.

Interestingly enough, on Linux, the pychecker setup.py installs the
script in usr/local/bin. Someone who understands distutils could
probably fix this on OS-X very easily.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov