[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: Best Python GUI for Arabic, etc.

Gary Shao gshao1 at san.rr.com
Mon Jan 19 23:12:07 EST 2004

Hi,

Thanks Kevin for the update on wxPython. I've only recently tried
running an existing wxPython
script that works fine on Linux and Windows machines on a Mac OS X box.
I quite quickly
observed some of the visual irregularities mentioned when people talk
about the status of
wxPython on the Mac. The most readily apparent problems were rounded
buttons that were
surrounded by white rectangles and tab headers that had poor spacing
when compared to
what appeared on Linux and Windows. Another problem that showed up on
the Mac version
was the GetValue method of a wxTextCtrl object not returning the correct
value unless
the user manually changed the value (for instance simply backspacing
over one letter of the
default value shown and typing the same letter back in).

When I looked through the wxPython site, I could find no mention of
known problems with the
Mac implementation. This meant there was no way to know whether any
problems I found
were already known and whether they were already fixed for later
releases, planned for being
worked on, or would continue in later versions until someone addressed
them.  I'm interested in
writing Python applications that are truly cross-platform, and would
appreciate having some
pointers on where the status of specific Mac issues can be found. Thanks
again.

    --Gary