[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: Handling bad dictionaries

Paul Berkowitz berkowit at silcom.com
Thu Jan 15 11:00:03 EST 2004

On 1/15/04 3:02 AM, "has" <hengist.podd at virgin.net> wrote:

> Jack wrote:
>
>>> Looks like a bug in Safari's dictionary. Script Editor, etc.
>>> Typical clueless Cocoa app... grr.
>>
>> Do AppScripting and aeve have a way to deal with this situation?
>> With gensuitemodule it was easy: just hack the module after it was
>> generated, but for the new interfaces that won't work.
>
> Note this particular Safari terminology bug only affects appscript's
> doc() function, which is annoying but not fatal. There are some
> terminology bugs that'll prevent application control due to
> appscript's sanity-checking, but this isn't one of them.
>
> As far as terminology bugs go, the answer here is to fix the problem
> at source. The best solution is to get the application developer to
> sort it out themselves, but you can always hack the application's
> terminology resource yourself if you have to. So I don't see any need
> to muck up appscript and other IAC bridges with klunky adaptor
> mechanisms for this particular problem. Besides, there are plenty
> more serious application bugs which can't be hacked or adapted around
> - busted terminology is probably the least of our problems.

It almost only ever happens in cruddy Apple apps whose developers spent 30
minutes trying to learn AppleScript before slamming in their dictionaries.
Somebody somewhere seems committed to fixing these bugs eventually, so if
you report the bugs assiduously at bugreporter they do get fixed 18 months
and two major OS releases later. ;-)

--
Paul Berkowitz