[Pythonmac-SIG] Python C extensions that depend on dynamic libraries

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Sun Jan 11 19:37:01 EST 2004

On Jan 11, 2004, at 7:15 PM, Nicholas Riley wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 09:53:10PM +0100, Jack Jansen wrote:
>> As to the dylib/so issue: that's my stupidity. Back when OSX came out
>> was under the impression (don't know where I got it) that both .dylib
>> and .so were "legal" extensions for dynamic libraries on OSX. As .so
>> was the standard on most unixen, and for some reason Python's
>> configure
>> seemed to pick that I never spent a second thought on it.
>>
>> I'm not sure what we'll do for 2.4. Either go to whatever is the
>> standard on OSX (I haven't a clue whether there is a standard for
>> plugins), or come up with one ourselves (.pysomethingorother).
>
> You're not the only one to pick .so; Apache plugins in
> /usr/libexec/httpd also end with .so, and are also MH_BUNDLE format.
>
> Tcl uses MH_DYLIB and .dylib, which is bizarre; anyone know about any
> examples from other scripting languages?

Yeah, I have no idea why they are using MH_DYLIB.

(at least in 10.3)
Perl 	- MH_BUNDLE - .bundle
Ruby - MH_BUNDLE - .bundle
TCL - MH_DYLIB - .dylib
Python - MH_BUNDLE - .so
( yes all three of these happen, in stuff that comes with 10.3 no less )
Java - MH_BUNDLE - .jnilib
Java - MH_DYLIB - .jnilib
Java - MH_DYLIB - .dylib
Apache - MH_BUNDLE - .so (these use the BINDATLOAD flag, so I'm
guessing that yes, bundles can enforce that.. as per earlier
conversation in this thread)

> I think .bundle is likely to cause more confusion than not; something
> with Python in the name (akin to .pyd on Windows) seems like a much
> better idea, perhaps ".pyext" or ".pymod"?

The only people that use something "non-standard" are the Java people..
Everyone else uses .bundle or .so.