[Pythonmac-SIG] hi, everybody!

Ronald Oussoren oussoren at cistron.nl
Tue Jan 6 12:30:11 EST 2004

On 6 jan 2004, at 18:21, Alex Martelli wrote:

>> You should also take a good look at PyObjC ( http://pyobjc.sf.net/ ),
>> which is the runtime bridge between Objective C and Python, that lets
>> you rather seamlessly take advantage of just about any Objective C
>> framework with the convenience of Python.  This means that you can
>> write Python applications using Apple's flagship Cocoa UI framework,
>> and even use Interface Builder to build the GUIs.
>
> I guess I should gain some passing acquaintance with Objective C for
> the purpose...?  I did look at that language many, many years ago,
> when Brad Cox's book came out (gosh, that must be TWENTY years ago...
> oh my...!!!), but don't really remember all that much about it (it WAS
> long ago, and I never really used the language at all, just studied
> the book...).  Could you suggest some URL and/or book for the purpose?
>  Or shd I just dive right into the "runtime bridge" without needing
> any understanding of the language on one side of it...?

The semantics of the Objective-C object model are simular to the Python
semantics. Just diving in should work, please let us know if
http://pyobjc.sourceforge.net/doc/intro.php does not contain enough
information to get started.

The most difficult part of Cocoa is understanding the class library,

	Ronald