[Pythonmac-SIG] updating Panther to Python 2.3.3

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Sun Feb 22 17:58:31 EST 2004

On 22-feb-04, at 0:42, John Miller wrote:
> Basically, I'm suggesting using the Makefile that Apple used for 2.3
> to build and install 2.3.3. It'll probably be obvious in the way I
> express this suggestion, but let me make it clear: I have very little
> understanding of the way makefiles work, so this suggestion may seem
> ridiculously naive or unworkable. Anyway, on my stock Panther system
> (with Developer Tools installed) there is a Makefile located at:

The problem is that Apple does a little more massaging before and after
running that Makefile. I think that you would be pretty safe if you use
their build procedure *and overwrite everything in /System*, and I
think that, given Python's track record of micro-version-compatibility,
the coregraphics module wouldn't notice the difference.

But you definitely want to check out their darwin source repository, as
they do some important things after building. I think all the details
should be in the darwin repository.

And, all that said, I'm definitely not going to try this myself. But if
you're willing to try it out: by all means. I'll be under the table
with my fingers in my ears, but just in case it does all work out as
expected I'd be glad to hear it:-)
Goldman