[Pythonmac-SIG] Menus from pyobjc

Dethe Elza delza at blastradius.com
Tue Feb 17 17:56:34 EST 2004

> On 17-feb-04, at 0:25, Bob Ippolito wrote:
>> If you post a minimal sample of what you're trying to do, I'll
>> [attempt to] fix it and make a PyObjC example out of it.  IIRC, you
>> have to do some undocumented voodoo to get the menus to do what
>> you're asking... I did this in PyObjC for recentish versions of
>> pygame (in macosx.py), though it's not particularly well tested
>> because sane people use IB nibs ;)

I'll try to put together a simple example tonight.

On 16-Feb-04, at 10:53 PM, Ronald Oussoren wrote:
> Which brings us to a question nobody seems to have asked: why not use
> a nib in the first place?

I don't like using code I don't understand, if I can help it.  I've
read that .nib files are serialized objects, so it should be possible
to just instantiate the objects myself.  I'm also interested in
alternative ways of building UIs besided IB (nice as IB is), for
example by using an XML description file in place of a nib file.

> Even if you want to build you menu dynamicly you could include a
> minimal menu in the nib and extend that.

If there isn't another way then I'll certainly take that route, but I
want to know a) that there isn't any other way, and b) why not.

--Dethe

As for intelligent machines taking over, a machine does not have to be
intelligent to conquer the world; it merely has to be desireable.
We've already lost a war to a synthetic species--the automobile--that
has killed more than 15 million people; occupied all of our cities
except Venice, Italy; and continues to exact crushing taxes in
resources, wealth, and time from over half the planet--and everybody
wants one. --Grant Thompson