[Pythonmac-SIG] Let's discuss MacPython distributions for january

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Fri Dec 24 12:19:49 CET 2004

Bob Ippolito <bob at redivi.com> writes:

> On Dec 23, 2004, at 6:28 PM, Michael Hudson wrote:
>
>> Jack Jansen <Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl> writes:
>>
>>> Second question: I think the solution to peaceful  coexistence is that
>>> all Pythons adopt the solution sketched in Bob's mail
>>> <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/pythonmac-sig/2004-December/
>>> 012292.html>. That discussion is rather technical, but what it boils
>>> down to is that all Pythons (on 10.3) build their extensions with
>>> "-undefined dynamic_lookup", thereby forestalling that extensions
>>> inadvertently pull in a second, different, Python framework.
>>
>> Side question: do we know yet if the Python shipped with tiger will
>> get this right?  I think this is checkable by people not under NDA,
>> but if not at least those people who have seen Tiger previews can
>> think about it :)
>
> They got it right in the Python 2.3.3 that was posted along with the
> Darwin 8.0b1 (?) sources, I'm pretty sure I pointed this out several
> times.

Quite possibly...

> There is no reason to believe they will screw it up between then
> (WWDC) and now :)

Except that I tried to look for evidence of this in the WWDC source
drop last night before posting and failed to find it... oh, is it in
configure.ed?  That seems a strange place to hang it, but oh well.

Cheers,
mwh

--
  It is never worth a first class man's time to express a majority
  opinion.  By definition, there are plenty of others to do that.