[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app standalone options

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Fri Dec 17 21:59:55 CET 2004

Hi all,

I originally came down on Has' side of this debate, but now think Bob
has made the right choices, so I thought I'd add a couple comments.

First, I'm  a little unclear on what exactly Has wants. Could you clarify?

I know what I want, I think what Bob has done accomidates this very well.

If you want an app that will run on the machine you developed it on, the
Alias option is perfect.

If you want to deploy an app to other users, but either know or expect
them to have a bunch of stuff installed into their Python, you don't
want it all included by Py2App. However, I realized that it is highly
unlikely that your users will have the exact same installation as you
do, so it's best to be explicte about what they need installed, and
those things you specify to be excluded by Py2App. I, for instance,
expect my users to have:

wxPython
PIL
Numeric

Installed, so I can exclude those, but I'd  rather not inadvertantly
create a dependence on an obscure package I forgot I had used.

If you want to deliver some code with the idea that users are completely
on their own about dependencies, then just deliver the code, and let
them run Py2app themselves, if need be.

So, the only use case I can think of for what Has is asking for is one
where you want to deliver an app to users that are guaranteed to have
EVERYTHING that the developer has installed. This does, indeed, sound
like a rare use case to me.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov