[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app standalone options

has hengist.podd at virgin.net
Fri Dec 17 00:00:06 CET 2004

Bob wrote:

>>>Because I don't care about your use case.  It's rare and is very
>>>often not what people want.
>>
>>How rare?
>
>Rare enough that I can't justify writing the code and adding yet
>another option.
>
>  If you don't need a redistributable application, then use an alias
>bundle.  If you want a redistributable application, then include the
>dependencies.

If you were writing py2app simply to please yourself I wouldn't
bother raising the issue, but since you intend it to replace
BundleBuilder in the standard distribution I can't really see "I
don't care about your use case" being sufficient justification for
such a design decision. You've just spent weeks, if not months,
designing and constructing py2app - a not insignificant piece of
software engineering. I'd be rather surprised if it'd take you more
than a few minutes to insert an option that bypasses the modulegraph
component at the point where it connects to the rest of py2app,
assuming a properly-factored, maintainable design.

As to what I want: I would like a really quick, easy way to churn out
lightweight distributable applets that don't lug around stuff they
don't need to. BundleBuilder has no problem doing this; heck, even a
crap language like AppleScript can do it. Is it really py2app's place
to dictate to users how they should or shouldn't build THEIR apps?
Personally, if I want py2app to resolve and include my applications'
dependencies, I shall be only too happy to ask it to do so. But if I
don't, I'd appreciate it minding its own business respecting that
choice. (And no, forcing me to manually resolve and manually exclude
all my applications' dependencies for it doesn't count.)

On a separate issue, I've noticed the semi-standalone option appears
to be buggy in 0.1.6. When I set it to true, py2app correctly omits
standard modules and extensions from Resources/Python, but is still
including the core Python.framework. I'm running MacPython 2.3.3
under OS 10.2.8. If you want the build logs and/or finished
application bundles, let me know and I'll email them over.

has
--
http://freespace.virgin.net/hamish.sanderson/