[Pythonmac-SIG] socket.getaddrinfo problems

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Tue Apr 20 07:23:22 EDT 2004

Jack Jansen <Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl> writes:

> That lookupd manpage sure is interesting, and it really makes you
> wonder why some people see these funny timings in Python...
>
> What I'm now wondering is: could it be that somehow Python bypasses
> lookupd, maybe because of the way it calls getaddrinfo or something
> like that?

Um.  I may just be adding to the considerable pile of confusion here,
but if this is the same as the 'calling bind() in a loop is really
slow' problem, then, no, python isn't bypassing lookupd (on Jaguar, at
least), as you can tell by watching the output of 'top -u' while
you're doing it.

Cheers,
mwh

--
42. You can measure a programmer's perspective by noting his
    attitude on the continuing vitality of FORTRAN.