[Pythonmac-SIG] What is Your Favorite Text Editor?

Kevin Altis altis at semi-retired.com
Sun Apr 11 23:01:18 EDT 2004

Well since every other possibility is being plugged, I guess I'll
mention my own "dog food", the PythonCard codeEditor. Here's the
slightly out-of-date Windows screenshots and readme.txt

http://pythoncard.sourceforge.net/codeEditor.html

PythonCard needed its own standalone editor environment and the first
version only took 15 minutes to write, so I got in the habit of using
it day to day while I tinkered with it. Since all the hard stuff is
done by the Scintilla engine, the source is relatively small and it
works on Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X, so as I switch back and forth
between machines I don't get lost; Emacs and vim of course are quite
fine, but personally I can't deal with them except in short bursts. The
main thing that I couldn't live without now that I got used to it with
the codeEditor is the built-in shell and the exposed editor API which
allows you to write and save Python "scriptlets" or just code some up
on the fly in the shell.

BBEdit, SubEthaEdit, and other Mac-specific editors are fine. Frankly,
which editor you use depends so much on what your past experience is,
what keystroke commands are burned into your brain, whether you work on
multiple platforms regularly, need a built-in debugger, etc. In the
end, you just have to try various editors and IDEs and see which ones
fit your brain.

http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/PythonEditors

ka