[Pythonmac-SIG] Where's the Combo-Box?

Jason Van Anden jason at smileproject.com
Sun Apr 11 08:53:58 EDT 2004

It seems really strange to me that Tkinter does not come with a default
Combo or Drop Down-Box control.  In Visual Studio and in fact, on any
browser interface, this control is indispensable.  Am I simply missing
something?  Searching online did not really help.  I am looking for
suggestions.  If possible, I would like to stick with Tkinter, and not
distract myself with custom modules*.   I just want to get the job
done, and I have enough to learn being new to Python.

* Personally, I find this a trap that one is easily seduced into with
other languages like VB. All too often it seems that the programmer
becomes expert at using the modules rather than becoming a better
programmer - exposing himself to the whim of the add-on developer.  I
want to work with a refined palette - as opposed to taking on a new
hobby qualifying custom modules.  This is not to say that I think one
should always roll their own -- it's more about finding some sort of
middle ground.

Jason