[Pythonmac-SIG] Difference between pythonw and python?

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Fri Apr 2 12:47:22 EST 2004

Jens Miltner wrote:

> Unfortunately, now that I had Tkinter imported properly, I also had to
> find that I run into the exact problem you already mentioned, namely
> Tkinter installing it's own event loop.
> Is there any Tk package that won't do this (or launch an external app
> to run the UI)?
> How is this solved on other platforms?
> Do you know of Tk packages that don't set up a complete event loop, but
> use e.g. CarbonEvents to manage their widgets, so that they don't
> interfere with a hosting app's event handling?

The easiest answer is "don't do that". In general, you're going ot ahve
a much easier time in a python embedded project using the same GUI
toolkit for C++ and python. wxWidgets+wxPython, for example.

Why do you want to use TKinter? why not use the Carbon stuff from Python
instead? MacCVS is not cross platform anyway. Another option is to see
if you can use PyObjC and Cocoa, though I don't know how hard it is to
mix Cocoa and Carbon.

In the long run, your best bet would be to make a cross pl;atform app
with wxWidgets or QT, or make a Mac app with Cocoa, but that may be more
change than you want to deal with...

There are also other efforts along these lines anyway, at least for
Subversion. See:

RapidSVN  for a wxWidgets version: http://rapidsvn.tigris.org/
SVEN for Cocoa version: http://www.nikwest.de/Software/#SvenOverview
PySVN for a wxPython cversionhttp://pysvn.tigris.org/

There are WAY to many SVN and CVS clients under development, I'd love to
see more collaboration. I wouldn't put much work into a CVS client
without having Subversion support in mind anyway.

By the way, I think there is some relvance here to our recent discussion
about X-platform toolkits. If you are writing a SVN or CVS client, you
are writing "just the GUI part". The functional code is developed
separately. And yet, there is a LOT of work to do to write a good GUI,
and it has to be done differently for each toolkit used. It still might
be true that to get the best possible Mac client, you'd want to use
Cocoa, rather than wxWidgets or QT, or ..., but it's clear that there is
a lot of extra work to do when you make that choice. Fortunately, there
are a lot of people that want to write SVN and CVS clients, so maybe we
will get really nice native clients on all platforms.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov