[Pythonmac-SIG] Generate OSA Suite in 10.2.3

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Thu Sep 25 17:53:35 EDT 2003

On 25-sep-03, at 23:06, Bob Ippolito wrote:
>> Well, well, well.... I know you're pretty proud of aeve, and it
>> definitely has
>> a number of advantages over the old stuff, but calling the old stuff
>> "extremely
>> difficult to use" is hyperbole. After you've run gensuitemodule
>> they're 99%
>> identical in use. And running gensuitemodule is just the press of a
>> button
>> (except for the misbehaving applications for which you also have to
>> do extra
>> work with aeve, or have you solved that in the mean time?).
>
> I wouldn't say it's 99% identical.  Have you played with aeve yet?

Well, aside from the fact that you don't need the explicit f.get()
calls there's
one difference:
> u'file://localhost/Users/bob/Desktop/'

versus
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> AttributeError: _Prop_desktop instance has no attribute 'url'

and this is a bug. It's a rather stupid bug: only for elements we look
up the
actual class of the object so we can traverse through it, for
properties we
just return the Property('desk') object, which is pretty useless.

Why didn't anyone report this? It indeed makes OSA support for the
finder
pretty difficult (most other application don't have complex objects
stashed away in properties, afaik, so it probably isn't as much of a
problem
for those).

I've filed a bug report, #812750.
Goldman