[Pythonmac-SIG] Generate OSA Suite in 10.2.3

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Thu Sep 25 01:17:02 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003, at 23:43 America/New_York, Nick Matsakis
wrote:

> I am playing around with a developer's preview of Panther, and I see
> that it comes with Python 2.3.  I'd like to try out some of the
> OSAScript
> features, but it seems that the IDE and other graphical python tools
> are
> not installed.  So, I have two questions:
>
> 1. Is there a binary release of these additional tools available for
> download somewhere?

Jack is working on it, but I don't believe he's released it yet.

> 2. I've found reference to a "Generate OSA Suite..." command in the IDE
> that can be used to build an OSA Suite for a Mac application.  Is this
> functionality available in the panther 2.3 without the IDE?  I'm
> thinking
> of something I can run from the interpreter that will take an
> application
> code or something as an argument and spit out the suite.

This is not something you want to use, the OSA support in the MacPython
standard library is extremely difficult to use, what you want is my
aeve package.  See http://undefined.org/python/ and the archives here
for more information.  Feel free to contact me if you have any
questions or issues with aeve.

Without Package Manager it will be kind of difficult to install,
though, because aeve depends on a few additional modules:
	Pyrex (to build LaunchServices and TECManager)
	LaunchServices (so it can find applications by name, bundle
identifier, creator code, etc)
	TECManager (for ubiquitous unicode support.. apple events use a lot of
macroman and such, so I use this to convert it all)
	PyObjC (not a big dependency, it's using it to inspect bundles..
probably will remove this dependency sometime)

Note that I have slightly patches Pyrex so it can reference system
includes, so you'll need to download the latest Pyrex and make this
change:
In Nodes.py, I changed the block starting on 160 to the following:

     for filename in env.include_files:
       if not (filename.startswith('<') and filename.endswith('>')):
         filename = '"%s"' % filename
       code.putln('#include %s' % filename)

In any case, for now, you are far better off just using Jack's
MacPython 2.3 distribution, it won't collide with the Panther install,
and you get the GUI tools and Package Manager so you can easily install
stuff.  After installing, make sure to put /usr/local/bin before
/usr/bin in your $PATH.  I have quite a few packages up for grabs in my
unofficial PackageManager repository (instructions and package list
here: http://undefined.org/python/pimp/darwin-6.6-Power_Macintosh.html
)... all of them should work fine with Panther.