[Pythonmac-SIG] ANN: Pycotine 0.4 available!

Dinu Gherman gherman at darwin.in-berlin.de
Wed Sep 10 14:22:04 EDT 2003

Hi,

ok, some background information about the stuff I build recently...
I had installed some libdl* via Fink and copyed them into /usr/lib
which is probably how they entered into my /usr/bin/python when com-
piling it. I can't even quite remember what these libs should be
good for... Now, I've removed these libs and recompiled Python 2.2.3
again and I invite you to check the result only for Pycotine on your
own box now:

   http://python.net/~gherman/projects/pycotine/Pycotine.tar.gz

I did a test on a second, uninFinkted machine to find a new very in-
teresting problem: Double-clicking the .app folder does immediately
close the app, on that box, again, writing this to the console:

   ...Pycotine.app/Contents/MacOS/Pycotine: /python: No such file or
   directory
   ...Pycotine.app/Contents/MacOS/Pycotine: exec: /python: cannot
   execute: No such file or directory

A close inspection reveals that the start script, ...MacOS/Pycotine
fails to propperly set $execdir, making it an empty string:

#!/bin/sh

execdir=$(dirname ${0})
executable=${execdir}/python
resdir=$(dirname ${execdir})/Resources
main=${resdir}/__main__.py
PYTHONPATH=$resdir
export PYTHONPATH
exec ${executable} ${main} ${1}

But if you start it like this in a terminal it will come up (de-
spite the fact that it won't show its own menues, but those of Ter-
minal.app):

   [localhost:Pycotine] dinu% Pycotine.app/Contents/MacOS/Pycotine

Is this some kind of a miracle on my second box or does it happen
on yours, too?

Quite confused,

Dinu

--
Dinu C. Gherman
"An error is not a mistake until you refuse to correct it."