[Pythonmac-SIG] Creating an applet that includes wxPython

Just van Rossum just at letterror.com
Sun Sep 7 10:03:54 EDT 2003

velosa at cinenet.net wrote:

> I have written a small Python application for managing family trees
> that uses wxPython for the interface.  My goal is to make this
> available to various members of my family tree so they can enter the
> information they have.  I'm now trying to figure out how to make it
> available to other people.  I am hoping that there is a way to extend
> the results of MacPython applet tool to include the wxPython
> libraries, but I don't know enough about how Mac packaging works to
> know whether this is really possible.  I got my own environment
> working by downloading MacPython and wxPython-mac and installing
> them.  I'm hoping I can simply provide a single bundle to the other
> Mac users.  Ideally I'd like them to be able to run it all off of a
> CD.  Is there a reasonable way to do this or do I have to separately
> include MacPython and wxPython-mac with my little applet.

You can create standalone .app bundle that includes Python with
bundlebuilder.py. Check the archives of this list for discussion of some
potential problems, there was a thread last week with the word
"bundlebuilder" in the subject.

Alternatively, we just discussed some bundlebuilder features on the
PyObjC mailing list:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=3082424&forum_id=
4355

(I somehow have to load that page twice before it works)

I've never used wxPython, but I've heard repackaging it is non-trivial.
Maybe there are other people on this list that have experience with
building standalone apps that use wxPython?

Just