[Pythonmac-SIG] Japanese UI in Tkinter

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Sun Oct 19 09:42:05 EDT 2003

On Friday, Oct 17, 2003, at 19:42 America/New_York, Antoine Picard
wrote:

> I'm creating a utility using Tkinter and I want to localize it for
> Japan.
>
> I already have it working on Windows and I had seen on another machine
> although some glyph showed up, some other didn't but, on my own
> machine, all the glyphs show up as gibberish.
>
> Is there some setting before running or during configure so that they
> show up properly in Tkinter?
> Note that I can print them to the darwin window and they show up
> properly when encoded as UTF-8 but not so in Tkinter.

I think you ought to ask the Aqua Tcl/Tk people about this, because it
isn't really very specific to Python.

Personally I'd recommend using another toolkit.  wxWindows (wxPython)
has localization and internationalization built in and will work OS X
(mostly), X11 and Win32.  Though you *might* want to consider
consolidating as much of the functionality that can be consolidated and
then develop two separate interfaces (one for Mac, one for Win32).  At
this point it's a lot easier to fix (and you're probably less likely to
find) a bug in PyObjC than to fix a bug in wxWindows or Aqua Tcl/Tk.
PyObjC applications are also lighter weight and much easier to
distribute than wxPython or Tkinter applications.