[Pythonmac-SIG] Please explain this PackageManager message

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Sat Oct 18 18:13:25 EDT 2003

On 17-okt-03, at 23:05, Lance Boyle wrote:

> While downloading PyObjC 1.0 using PackageManager, I get this message:
>
>   Not all files were unpacked:
> Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/bin/nibclassbuilder
>
> What does this mean? Do I need to do anything?

This error message is indeed obscure, and I'm looking for a better one.
The
problem is that it can really mean different things in different
circumstances:

1. If you do a "current user only" install of a package then anything
the
    package tries to install outside of site-packages (like header
files, or
    scripts, as in this case) is not installed. This is really an error
by
    the scapegoat, as there is a way to list all the expected skips in
the
    database.
2. If you do a system-wide install, but some directories are not
writable
    you also get this message. This probably means that some directories
    were expected to be writable but weren't. This can be either a
scapegoat
    error or a user error.

The net result of all this is that you don't have the nibclassbuilder
command line tool.
Goldman