[Pythonmac-SIG] Package Manager idea, adding a URL scheme

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Fri Oct 10 05:08:55 EDT 2003

On Thursday, October 9, 2003, at 09:35 PM, Bob Ippolito wrote:
> I do plenty of testing on a few of the packages, but some of them I
> don't know how to or have time to test thoroughly.  If someone tells
> me that a package doesn't work, I'll fix it.  You're right though, I'm
> more concerned with giving people an easy out to installing packages
> than to give them an easy out that works with 99% certainty.  The
> quality of package I'm giving them is certainly no lower than if they
> had compiled it themselves with normal options, especially for the
> packages that I have to modify in some way or compile with exotic
> options (i.e. static libtiff, libjpeg, etc in PIL, vecLib support in
> Numeric, etc.).  I suppose that's why I'm running the
> experimental/unofficial database :)

I'd still like to ask you to include the source distributions too...
That will also make migration from the experimental to the official
database easier.

> Perhaps we should have a system where users of the packages can give a
> particular package in my repository a vote of confidence, which you
> can review and use to eventually migrate the package into the official
> stable repository.  The same system should also be used to report bugs
> with packages, and to request new packages.

I think we're getting on the turf of PyPi here. At least: I would hope
that at some point in the future distutils, PackMan and PyPi are aware
of each others existence, and each of them handles their part of the
job.

> By the way, with regard to the include statement in the plist, if I
> include your database but have a newer version of a particular
> package, do both versions show up or just the newest?

I think that if the full names (name-version-flavor) are different
you'll see both, but if their identical you'll see the one from the
toplevel database (i.e. your database, in this case, as it is the one
the user requested).
Goldman