[Pythonmac-SIG] Additional Package Manager database for 10.3 now available

Ronald Oussoren oussoren at cistron.nl
Mon Nov 17 01:54:18 EST 2003

On 16 nov 2003, at 22:01, Bob Ippolito wrote:

> On Nov 16, 2003, at 3:55 PM, Martina Oefelein wrote:
>
>> Second issue: The description of (WriteableBin) says that I should
>> grant admins write access to
>> /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/bin. Am I
>> the only one who is a bit scared of installing software into /System
>> or granting anybody write access there? Is it really necessary? This
>> directory is not even on my path, so why do files have to live there?
>
> You're right to be scared of it, it's bad.  This is a well known
> problem with distutils on OS X.  The only fix would be for me to
> rewrite the setup.py for every package in my repository, or to rewrite
> parts of distutils.

It's not that bad, you could also use 'python setup.py install
--install-scripts=/usr/local/bin'. This should install scripts into
/usr/local/bin. The real problem is header-files, even if you could
install those somewhere else you wouldn't be able to actually use them
without replacing distutils or the setup.py of packages using the
headers.

Ronald