[Pythonmac-SIG] Possibly exploiting "features" in the current PackageManager.app

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Thu Nov 6 18:48:30 EST 2003

As I'm working on my Panther package repository, I noticed something
that a few of you might appreciate.

PackageManager already "has" the "install from disk" feature (at least
on my computer..).  Here's why:

1)  PackageManager downloads stuff to /tmp, and forgets to delete it
(at least on Panther, as far as I can tell)
2)  PackageManager checks /tmp to see if the package is already
downloaded (by filename/md5sum)

These "features" mean two things:
(a) you might want to clean up your /tmp if you use PackageManager ;)
(does OS X do this on reboot?)
(b) you should be able to download from a fast connection, and install
on another computer, here's how:
	* use package manager and install on one computer
	* copy the tarballs from /tmp to a CD or whatever so you can get it to
the second computer
	* copy the tarballs from the CD to /tmp

Note that I haven't actually tested this, but it looks like it should
work.