[Pythonmac-SIG] MacPython logo redux

Kevin Ollivier kevino at tulane.edu
Tue Nov 4 13:46:58 EST 2003

Hi Bob,

On Nov 4, 2003, at 9:58 AM, Bob Ippolito wrote:

> You may have a point with regard to people disliking/being afraid of
> snakes.  However, I'm not sure how much weight that really carries.
> Python isn't named FuzzyBunny, and even though the language was not
> named after the snake, it seems that most people (even the people that
> know the reference) make the snake association.  Also, most (all?)
> software developers/researchers/hobbyists/etc are mature enough to not
> have a problem with a depiction of a snake.

As far as it may affect people's desire to check out the language on
Mac, I think it carries a lot of weight. Certainly I personally am more
interested in convincing people to consider using Python than I am of
making sure the snake reference is adhered to. And on the flip-side of
the coin, it isn't named DangerousBadassSnake either. I guess I
actually see the Python community as playful, light-hearted - i.e. Tim
Peters' Zen of Python. The Windows snake, the PyGame logo, and the
16-Ton icon (though an obscure reference) keep this feeling of
playfulness/silliness - this new icon doesn't say "playful" or
"light-hearted" at all. I don't associate it with my own experiences
using Python. It makes me think 'tough' and 'dangerous', and I don't
see why one would want to convey the Python software/community that
way.

Also, I personally don't think it's an issue of maturity - I personally
find spiders creepy, and would like to avoid looking at or touching
them if at all possible. ;-) Does this mean I'm immature? I don't think
so. I can't say that my perception of spiders is rational; but its
there and I'd guess it's built-in. And I'd bet it's why you don't see
many "realistic" spider-based logos - the ones you do see are
'abstract' ala Spider-Man.

> Yes, the logo is detailed, but scaling is not an issue because I have
> access to the designer and can have him tweak an icns file to get the
> low res versions right.  Besides, it's layered photoshop, and
> organized well enough so that even I could rather painlessly remove
> enough of the detail to have it gracefully scale down to 32x32 just by
> hiding layers.
>
> As far as the apple goes, it's a separate layer and can be replaced
> with other things for customization purposes -- i.e. you could
> potentially put something that looks like a console there for
> PyInterpreter.  I'm not terribly concerned with Windows XP, I just
> want something to work for OS X.

Still, I think brand consistency is important, and if we're going to
change the logo, we might as well make it consistent. For example, the
'Tux' image is pretty consistently used with Linux. (Sure some folks
have taken a picture of a penguin and turned it into an icon, but we
all know what Tux looks like.) Having different snakes on different
platforms dilutes the brand, and icons are definitely about promoting
the brand/product/whatever. That's my two cents, anyways.

Thanks,

Kevin