[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: PIL 1.1.4 breaks Python 2.3 on Mac OS X 10.3 Panther

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Mon Nov 3 06:46:28 EST 2003

Bill Janssen <janssen at parc.com> writes:

>> If you link a python module using 'Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Python', it
>> means that the Python framework is going to be searched inside (in order):
>>
>> ~/Library
>> /Library
>> /System/Library
>>

> What does "searched inside" mean?

What could it mean?  The dynamic linker is looking for a
"Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Python" to satisfy some symbol
dependencies, and those are the folders it's going to look inside, in
order (that's just the way Mac OS X is).

> What is "the Python framework"?

A framework (in this context) on Mac OS X is a bit like a good ol'
unix dynamic shared object, except that it's really a folder that
contains the good ol' unix dynamic shared object and some other stuff
(e.g. headers).

The Python framework is, well, sorta like libpython2.3.a on unix
(except a shared object).

> Who is linking this module using
> 'Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Python' (and how do I make them stop :-?).

Now this I don't know...

Cheers,
mwh

--
  MGM will not get your whites whiter or your colors brighter.
  It will, however, sit there and look spiffy while sucking down