[Pythonmac-SIG] MySQLdb -- dyld: python Undefined symbols

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Wed May 28 12:06:02 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, May 27, 2003, at 19:38 Europe/Amsterdam, William McLendon
wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> I'm on an OS-X box 10.2.6 and am trying to learn how to use the python
> hooks into a MySQL database.  The mysql server is running on the
> localhost (just the basic installation so far)... I got the
> MySQL-python-0.9.2 distribution from the sourceforge site.  To my
> knowledge it installed correctly.  I don't recall seeing any errors
> when I ran setup.py.
>
> So, I have a little test database just to learn the workings set up
> called "testdb" and here's the python code that I've got so far in my
> little learning code:
>
> #!/usr/bin/env python
> import _mysql
> db = _mysql.connect(host="localhost", db="testdb")
> # EOF
>

> Running this I get a big dump of undefined symbols:
> dyld: python Undefined symbols:
> _ERR_get_error_line_data
> _SSL_SESSION_set_timeout

Tom already pointed in the right direction: one of the modules was
dynamically linked against the openSSL library, but this library could
not be found at runtime. Why this is I don't know, as you state you
have /usr/lib/libssl.dylib. Maybe the extension was linked against
another libssl version?

There is lots of debug output you can make the dynamic loader produce,
see "man dyld". Maybe this gives a clue?
Goldman