[Pythonmac-SIG] build instructions for scipy on Mac OS X

Andrew Straw andrew.straw@adelaide.edu.au
Mon May 26 11:01:37 EDT 2003

Hi All,

I've seen a few requests for help compiling scipy on Mac OS X.  As I
just did this again and it's fresh in my mind, let me describe what I
did.  This was with Python2.3b1 that I compiled myself.

0) Don't set MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET environment variable to 10.2 --
it doesn't play nicely with g77
1) Install g77 and atlas using fink.  (Make sure g77 is on your path.)
2) Get scipy from CVS (I checked out the head version yesterday)
3) Rename sample_site.cfg to site.cfg in the scipy_core/scipy_distutils
directory.
4) Add /sw/lib to library_dirs and /sw/include to include_dirs in the
DEFAULT section of site.cfg (This will cause scipy to use atlas
installed by fink.)
5) Remove xplt from setup.py (various tk dependency errors I didn't
bother to fix)
6) python setup.py build
7) sudo python setup.py install

I'm cross posting this to scipy-user and pythonmac-sig.  To
(arbitrarily) pick a single location for follow-ups, shall we say the
scipy list?

Cheers!
Andrew