[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: MacPython, wxPython, and Gnuplot

Russell E. Owen rowen at cesmail.net
Mon Jun 30 15:28:45 EDT 2003

In article <39639E4E-AB04-11D7-8E77-0030655234CE at cwi.nl>,
 Jack Jansen <Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl> wrote:

> Depending on how you start your application any $PATH modifications you
> do in .cshrc or .profile will *not* be seen. To be more precise: if
> your application is started from the Finder you will not see any
> changes made in those files. So if you've made a symlink in
> /usr/local/bin and added /usr/local/bin to $PATH in your .cshrc it
> still won't work. To check whether this is the case: print
> os.environ["PATH"] somewhere in your program.

Just to expand on this, you can set environment variables such that they
are seen by all applications, but you have to do it in
.MacOSX/environment.plist. My instructions are available at
<http://www.astro.washington.edu/owen/>, link "Environment Variables for
Aqua Applications in MacOS X".

-- Russell