[Pythonmac-SIG] Problem using buildapp

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Fri Jun 13 18:05:14 EDT 2003

On Friday, Jun 13, 2003, at 16:13 Europe/Amsterdam, Leighton Pritchard
wrote:
> Along the way we also came across a problem on the other machine with
> the user's path pointing to first the Fink-installed Python and then
> Apple's original out-of-the-box version - preventing local compilation
> of the source. Eventually we managed a build on that machine which
> worked OK, which in the short term was all we needed. *That* compiled
> app was, of course, not able to run on my machine :(
>
> We tried transferring struct.so between packages, but this did not
> help (both builds then failed). My colleague then installed a more
> recent beta of MacPython, and my build then worked with no issues.
> Sadly this happened before I could check the dynamic loader output on
> his machine... so we may never know what happened :(
>
> What is the issue with the clash between frameworks? I was hoping that
> buildapp with the standalone option set would allow the application to
> work on any machine regardless of its Python 'installation state'. Is
> this not the case?

Don't worry: your problem was not related to framework- versus
standard-python, it was related to fink-python versus standard-python.

If you take good care to *always* use the correct python to build
modules everything should work fine. In other words, even if you have
fink Python first in your path, if you build all extension modules you
need with the line
% /usr/bin/python setup.py build
then there should be no problem at all.
Goldman