[Pythonmac-SIG] Installing PyObjC via PackMan

Kevin Ollivier kevino at tulane.edu
Thu Jul 31 10:51:37 EDT 2003

On Thursday, July 31, 2003, at 08:43  AM, Bob Ippolito wrote:

> On Thursday, Jul 31, 2003, at 04:53 America/New_York, Jack Jansen
> wrote:
>

>> On donderdag, jul 31, 2003, at 07:39 Europe/Amsterdam, Ronald
>> Oussoren wrote:
>>> The PyObjC examples/documentation are not installed using distutils,
>>> and I assume this means they are not installed by PacMan. You could
>>> download the PyObjC installer for Python 2.2, the .DMG also contains
>>> a folder containing the Examples and Documentation. That should work
>>> just fine with Python 2.3.
>>
>> Ah, yes, all the installers have this problem: supporting documents
>> like examples and documentation aren't installed.
>>
>> I think we need to do two things about this:
>> - for the future, think of a way this could be added to distutils.
>> - for now, we need a way to give users who do a binary install of a
>> package a way to get access to the examples. One way would be to
>> create an extra installer, pyobjc_examples-1.0b2-binary, that would
>> put the examples and any other interesting stuff you don't get with a
>> binary install into /Applications/MacPython-2.3/Extras.
>>
>> Does this sound like a workable plan?
>
> Also for documentation..  I was thinking last night that python could
> keep an indexed directory of all pydoc and html documentation for
> python.  Many packages use HTML documentation, that ends up getting
> installed somewhere in site-packages.. That's probably not where it
> should go, but there should be a metadata way of saying 'look here for
> my documentation, don't bother introspecting me'.

This sounds like a good plan. I think we should have a "Packages"
directory under /Applications/MacPython 2.3 where examples and
documentation go. Each package gets a folder, and that's where to look
for everything regarding that package. Maybe even put a symlink to the
actual module there? (For user installs, we could have something like
$HOME/MacPython 2.3/Packages maybe?)

 From within PackMan, I think we could also have a simple line saying
"Install Location: /App.../Mac../Packages/PyObjC/Examples" when the
user clicks on examples or documentation.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Kevin