[Pythonmac-SIG] For your eyes only: MacPython 2.3 final

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Wed Jul 30 15:02:26 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, July 30, 2003, at 10:56AM, Jack Jansen wrote:

> Folks,
> I think MacPython 2.3 is finished. The installer should work, all the
> PackMan
> stuff should be in place and the new website is there.
>
> Please go to <http://www.cwi.nl/~jack/macpython> and give it a try.
> Also please try to install some stuff through PackMan: I think I have
> fixed
> everything so report back if something misbehaves.
>
> I will let you all have a go at it for another day or two, so we can
> iron out the
> last issues, and then I'll announce it more widely.

Panther 7B21 with the Panther 7B21 dev tools, AquaTclTk installed,
MacPython 2.3 "final"
(Darwin Kernel is still Version 7.0.0b1)

PackageManager still has the "Overwrite" acts recursive for
dependencies bug.  You'll still get messages like this:
(AppleDevTools): This package needs to be installed manually (no
Download-URL field) if you overwrite.

http://www.python.org/packman/version-0.3/darwin-6.6-
Power_Macintosh.plist:
	Documentation-2.3-binary
		- Assuming it works?  Didn't bother to test
	PyObjC-1.0b1-source
		- Works
	readline-2.3-source
		- Works
	Numeric-22.0-source
		- Works
	PyOpenGL-2.0.1.04beta-source
		- Works, but:
			Apple's GLUT changes the cwd to the Resources directory of
Python.app when you glutInit (i forgot about this one)
			I didn't get Togl, is this a TclTk battery or a PyOpenGL+_tkinter
thing?
	PIL-1.1.4-source
		- Works, but:
			did not get jpeg (not already installed)
			did not get freetype (not already installed)
		- I'll make a source recipe that downloads and compiles
libjpeg/freetype and links these statically
	_tkinter-2.3-binary
		- Works
		- I'll make a source recipe for this
	IDLE-2.3-binary
		- Works, but:
			has the to-be-expected-from-AquaTclTk display bugs and messed up
"tear-off" menus