[Pythonmac-SIG] FAQ item

Kevin Ollivier kevino at tulane.edu
Tue Jul 29 14:36:50 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, July 29, 2003, at 01:08  PM, Kevin Altis wrote:

> I realize that the focus will in general be on Cocoa for the UI, but
> whenever possible the underlying mechanisms should probably not be
> Mac-specific unless everyone simply feels like reinventing the wheel
> and
> doesn't want to leverage the work going on with other platforms.
>
> This is especially true of the Package Manager, which Python
> desperately
> needs on all platforms. The PM is related to the larger problem of a
> CPAN-like repository for Python. PyPI starts to solve the directory
> problem
> and FreePAN might be a mechanism for distribution including mirroring.
> It is
> nice that the PM is getting so much attention, but it will help the
> Python
> community as a whole if the underlying mechanisms used can be applied
> Linux, Windows, etc. later.

I agree here. PM is *very* nice and it obviously is very applicable to
all Python distros. I realize it may take time to make true
cross-platform capabilities a reality here, but if we invest heavily in
a Cocoa UI, then when it does go cross-platform, that just means
someone has to re-build the UI from scratch.

Jack and all, if I agreed to rebuild PM this weekend in wxPython (and
it works ^_-), would you be open to using that as a starting point for
future development?

I think a set of Cocoa tools would be very cool for Cocoa/PyObjC
development, but I think that some of these tools could be very useful
to Python on all platforms.

Kevin (O)