[Pythonmac-SIG] FAQ item

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Tue Jul 29 16:29:35 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, Jul 29, 2003, at 15:23 America/New_York, Jack Jansen wrote:

> On dinsdag, jul 29, 2003, at 19:06 Europe/Amsterdam, Skip Montanaro
> wrote:
>

>>     Israel> I would love for the PythonIDE to have Syntax coloring..
>>
>> So submit a patch. ;-)
>
> Just a warning that people probably shouldn't spend too much time on
> the current IDE:
> we should consider it at the end of its useful life. The W toolkit on
> which it
> is built predates even Appearance Manager, and it's design has
> resisted any
> attempt to make it appearance-mgr compatible. Moreover, nowadays we
> have Cocoa,
> which would do a lot of things automatically, and there are lots
> of all-singing-all-dancing edit widgets and other things available
> that we could
> put to good use.
>
> Some time next week I'd like to start a discussion on what people
> would like
> to see for the future, and what they're willing to help with.
> Cocoa-ification
> of IDE and Package Manager is going to be topmost on my list, that
> much I know:-)

What about the bootstrap problem (Package Manager vs. PyObjC)?

You planning to make PyObjC one of MacPython 2.4's "batteries" ?

I'd also like to mention that there are some pretty *serious security
flaws* with the current way Package Manager works that should be higher
priority than making it pretty.  We need to start a new thread
discussing this.. is this the proper SIG for it?