[Pythonmac-SIG] FAQ item

Israel C. Evans israel at sandlotgames.com
Tue Jul 29 11:00:27 EDT 2003

I would love for the PythonIDE to have Syntax coloring..
The lack of it was the only reason I started down the long path towards
becoming familiar with emacs.

The IDE didn't have syntax coloring, Pythoncard's editor while
wonderful was also quite unstable on my machine for some reason, so I
eventually found my way to Jedit which is also amazing, but with large
files became extremely slow.  Since I could never get my head around
the mode switching of Vi and Vim, I set down to learn emacs.  Now I'm
quite comfortable with it, but I've had to give up the wonderful popups
that appear when I'm typing a class or a function that is part of
python or has been created in the file as Code Editor or Idle does.
And I don't get the nice integration of the python documentation and
such, but at least it works and gives my code pretty colors.

It's amazing to me that with all the wonderful benefits that the
PythonIDE offers, I'm uncomfortable using it just because my code
doesn't come in full color.  I think I must be terribly spoiled.

~Israel~