[Pythonmac-SIG] Binary installer for MacPython-2.3rc2 available

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Mon Jul 28 22:38:46 EDT 2003

On maandag, jul 28, 2003, at 19:12 Europe/Amsterdam, Ronald Oussoren
wrote:
> 1. As part of the Python core
> 2. As part of the OS vendor packages
> 3. As part of the local site packages

And, actually, the latter can be split again as
3a) As part of the local intranet infrastructure
3b) As part of the local machine infrastructure
3c) By the end-user

Current Apple policy seems to be that 1=/System, 2+3b=/Library, 3a
should be /Network
but isn't used for Python and 3c=$HOME/Library.

I think it would be a good thing if distutils learnt about this
division, and my feeling says that teaching distutils is good enough:
the various other places that currently know about specific filesystem
locations (such as the main Makefile) could use a distutils-implemented
policy when there is one.

Actually (thinking out loud here), it's really a question of
responsibility. The machine is on the users' desk, but many people
could be responsible for bits and pieces on it: aside from the parties
mentioned above there could be a turnkey solutions provider, maybe
multiple levels of network administrators, etc. What distutils would
need is something like an open-ended configuration where destinations
could be added. And when destination are added these also need to be
picked up by sys.path, but also (for include files) by subsequent
distutils calls for installs at a higher level ("higher" with the
definition of end-user topmost), etc.

Should we take this to the distutils SIG? Should we write a PEP?
--
- Jack Jansen        <Jack.Jansen at oratrix.com>
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -