[Pythonmac-SIG] First stab at new MacPython website

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Sat Jul 26 01:56:42 EDT 2003

On vrijdag, jul 25, 2003, at 23:34 Europe/Amsterdam, Bob Ippolito wrote:
> Is it necessary to have a side bar and a top bar?

This is because I want to be able to integrate this with www.python.org
at some point. Note
that the top bar is system-wide, the side bar is per-section.

>  There doesn't seem to be enough sections to justify this.  Also, the
> top bar is GIGANTIC due to the alignment with the really big and ugly
> icon.

I've taken the icon discussion to another thread. But whatever we do, I
think we are stuck
with something approximately square, which means the uglyness stays.

I can see two ways out of this:
- think of two or three more things to put in the top bar, and make it
a 4x2 matrix.
- add icons, similar to those on OSX applications.

> The "Special topics" section should behave like the top navigation..
> meaning, if you're at a particular section, it should remain in the
> navigation but no longer as an anchor tag.

See above.

> In Safari 1.0, there does not appear to be a right margin on the page.

I noticed that too. Does anyone know the right css magic to fix this?

> "MacPython is the port "... should probably be stated as "MacPython is
> the official port..."

Hmm...

> Exits doesn't seem terribly useful, especially cause it's not
> consistently there and generally just points to python.org..

It is intended to  be page-specific and allow quick navigation to
related sites, such as
the fink site on the "other pythons" page.

> Also Community is terse enough to be part of Home, especially since
> the c.l.py newsgroup and mailing list is mentioned there where the
> Pythonmac-SIG is more likely to be relevant to a MacPython user.

This page definitely needs work (it's the last one I did tonight:-). I
would like to keep it separate, though, as this is where I initially
also want to put links to all the good stuff you lot come up with:-)

>> - errors, dead links, links going to the wrong place
>
> http://python.sourceforge.net/ (Developers section)  is deprecated,
> and should be http://www.python.org/dev/

Fixed.

> MacPython Documentation should point to http://www.python.org/doc/
> (Documentation) .. perhaps even more specific sections such as
> http://www.python.org/doc/current/mac/mac.html

Fixed.
--
- Jack Jansen        <Jack.Jansen at oratrix.com>