[Pythonmac-SIG] For your eyes only: new 2.3rc1+ installer

Andrew Straw andrew.straw at adelaide.edu.au
Thu Jul 24 08:32:35 EDT 2003

On Thursday, Jul 24, 2003, at 00:02 Europe/Berlin, Jack Jansen wrote:

> On woensdag, jul 23, 2003, at 23:00 Europe/Amsterdam, Chris Lee wrote:
>
>> You probably already know this but the package manager doesn't manage
>> to get through firewalls.
>
> No, I didn't know this! Code was added before 2.3b1 to make it go
> through firewalls (basically using urllib2 in stead of urllib, which
> should be firewall-aware. This definitely needs to be fixed, or at the
> very least warned about.

It does work.  Set the environment variable http_proxy:

for bash do this:

bash$ export
http_proxy='http://username:password@proxy.blahblahblah.com:1234'

for all Mac OS X apps (e.g. double clicking from Applications) make
this your ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
"http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>http_proxy</key>
	<string>http://username:password@proxy.blahblahblah.com:1234</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Note that you'll need to login again for the 2nd approach to have an
effect.

Cheers!
Andrew