[Pythonmac-SIG] For your eyes only: new 2.3rc1+ installer

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Thu Jul 24 01:02:42 EDT 2003

On woensdag, jul 23, 2003, at 23:00 Europe/Amsterdam, Chris Lee wrote:

> You probably already know this but the package manager doesn't manage
> to get through firewalls.

No, I didn't know this! Code was added before 2.3b1 to make it go
through firewalls (basically using urllib2 in stead of urllib, which
should be firewall-aware. This definitely needs to be fixed, or at the
very least warned about.

What are the symptoms you see?

And, for the rest of the crowd here: is anyone having success using PM
behind a firewall? Was there anything special you needed to do?

>   Also in my install the help pages come up blank.

This also is news to me. There is one thing you need to do (which is
obscurely mentioned in the installer welcome message): you need to
start the IDE once so it can register the help book.

Does the "MacPython Help" show up in your Help Viewer bookshelf?
--
- Jack Jansen        <Jack.Jansen at oratrix.com>
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -