[Pythonmac-SIG] For your eyes only: 2.3rc1+ installer

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Tue Jul 22 16:44:10 EDT 2003

Folks,
I need help with the binary installer. And, of course, with 2.3 getting
closer and
closer I need debugging help in general. Because I don't want to wait
for
the 2.3rc2 release later this week I've created a binary installer for
MacPython 2.3rc1+. This is the rc1 distributed in source form last
week, with
a few minor tweaks by me (mainly in the Package Manager and installer
stuff).
It would be really helpful if you could give this a workout, and report
problems
ASAP. If you do this real soon (i.e. today or tomorrow) there is a
chance that fixes
can still go into the rc2 installer later this week. Otherwise only
catastrophic
failures can be addressed.

For the binary installer itself I've come at a dead end, so I need
help. I've
apparently fixed the installer so that it shows the correct sizes (i.e.
if it doesn't
do this rfor you: please report!), and I've tried to set it so it will
only install
to the root volume. However, this seems to cause problems (at least, on
my system):
when you open the package and you get to the disk selection stage the
boot disk is
selected, but it has an exclamation mark and the message "You cannot
install this
software on this disk.(null)". When you select another disk and go back
to the boot
disk the error is suddenly cleared. If someone knows a way to fix this:
please let me
know. Otherwise I'll have to revert to clearing the rootVolumeOnly
flag, and putting
a warning note in the readme file.

As to other issues raised for the 2.3b2 installer: this one should
*not* have _tkinter
or readline anymore (they'll become available through Package Manager).

Finally, the URL at which you can find the new installer:
<http://ftp.cwi.nl/jack/python/mac/newer/MacPython-OSX-2.3rc1plus-
6.dmg>.
Goldman