[Pythonmac-SIG] unix link to framework python

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@oratrix.com
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 13:21:32 +0100

>> We are still missing a step however. If I have it right, you can tell
>> finder that you want a *.py or *.pyw file opened with (*and run by)
>> the
>> python interpreter. What would be great is if that file go opened be a
>> samll utility that looked at the #! line and opened it with the
>> correct
>> interpreter (I suppose that utility could be a simple shell script,
>> come
>> to think of it). That way, one could have programs written for various
>> versions of Python all on one machine, and be able to run them easily
>> from the GUI. I suppose BuildApplet (if it exists for OS-X) can do the
>> same thing, but I kind of like the cross-platform elegance of the #!
>> line. The Windows folks could do the same thing as well...
>
> It's not quite the same but if you set the properties such that are
> using the PythonLauncher from 2.3 then if you hold down the Alt key
> while double clicking a .py or .pyw file in Finder then you will get
> an opportunity to specify which python is executed.

I missed the original post (or was it to another mailing list?), but I
think that a PythonLauncher preference "Honour #! lines in scripts" is
a good idea. If you file a feature request on sourceforge I won't
forget about it.
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack -
Goldman -